Principles of Community Work
Inspired by adrienne maree brown, bell hooks, Parker Palmer, Thich Nhat Hanh, PRATEC and others, I originally crafted these principles to undergird the work at CASA but they extend into all I do, and especially in how I guide others in my consulting work:
Disrupting & Affirming: We aim to disrupt injustice and oppression while affirming equity, wellbeing, peace, joy, security, and connection within ourselves and within our communities.
Interconnection: Both the diminishing and healing of our humanity is unlocked in a “network of mutuality” (Martin Luther King, Jr.) We see that our liberations are bound together.
Imagination & Creativity: We are imagining the just world we want and creatively cultivating it together through community-based research, education, organizing, and healing justice.
Place-Based: We respect and affirm local knowledge, culture, assets, and power.
Relational: We create and sustain long-term, meaningful community partnerships that follow the lead of those most directly impacted by injustice in the community.
Personal & Political: We prioritize collaborations that are critically reflexive and generate personal and systemic transformation.
My consulting has spawned different constituents, but below include a few of the most longstanding consulting partnerships I have been a part of.
Yoga and Social Justice
- Online and in-person trainings, organizational consulting and guest speaking with Off the Mat! Into the World
- Train the trainer, teacher and student anti-bias education training
- Workshops for administrators, certified and classified staff, parents, youth and community members with A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE Institute
Early Childhood Anti-Bias Education Consulting
- Anti-bias-bias education training workshops for parents and teachers
- Consultant with Sierra Madre Elementary and Sierra Madre Community Nursery School
Community Engagement in Higher Education